Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Feb 2012 09:35:06 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (38 lines)
Hi! I saw your post about the baby who is biting his mommie. This one is so discouraging!
One thing that may help is nursing the baby only when he is sleepy or sleeping. Remind her 
he is not in danger as long as she is available at night. Maybe he has started foods and a 
sippy cup, which will help during the daytime.

Another idea is making sure Mom is not offering to nurse because she is on the phone
and baby is fussy, or maybe mom wishes he would nap. I worked with a dedicated
mom who was at her wit's end because of biting. We FINALLY figured out mom was offering 
to nurse TOO often, and baby was saying "no". 

Did Mom change soaps, lotions or deodorants? is she taking a new medicine? Sometimes the milk has changed flavors because of a medicine or supplement Mom is taking. 

Is mom pregnant? Did she start hormonal birth control?  Her supply may be an issue.

I am away from the post---did you offer the idea of the warm bath in semi-darkness?

This baby may be doing the "too nosy to nurse" thing already. I tell mommies that "lying 
in your lap and looking at your armpit has lost its allure"! Baby may need something neat 
in his hands to distract him while he nurses by "instinct". Mom should choose something she 
would never otherwise give him because he would put it in his mouth (which is plugged now) or whatever. My daughter had to have a book or something to look at after awhile. (I have some 
cute pictures!)

Is mom sure baby's gums are n0ot hurting? She may want to ask her doctor about a dose of tylenol or ibuprofen, to see if that helps. Also, moms, grandmoms, aunts, Everyone has a favorite teething soother. Time to take a poll! Now I'm rambling. Good luck!
Rowena, Texas

Rowena Tucker IBCLC, LLLL

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2