From:
Jill Meltzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 1996 19:34:07 -0500
One of my breastfeeding peer counselors delivered a healthy baby boy except
for broken collar bone.  At 3 day check up her Doctor told her the baby was
jaundiced, bilirubin 8.9 (big deal) He then went on to tell her that her
breastmilk could be making the baby jaundiced (3 days old!).  She said to
him, that she needed to breastfeed more (good for her).  He said that he
would admit the baby to the hospital if the bilirubin went to 12.  ( think
the baby was at least 8 lbs.).  Does anybody have a good, but not too long
article that I could send to this jaudicly illiterate doctor without getting
myself into trouble.

Jill Meltzer, R.N.
Breastfeeding Coordinator
WIC Program