From:
Elaine Ziska <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Sep 1998 15:18:21 EDT
In a message dated 9/25/98 11:03:21 PM Central Daylight Time, carol b. writes:

<< i thought (just to cover every possible base) that one of the
considerations
 for not contracting chicken pox was the later- in- life occurrence of
 shingles, which afflicts several breastfed -as -children adults i know, and
is
 tremendously painful.

I'm not sure there is any evidence that the varicella vaccine will prevent the
later development of shingles.  The vaccine is too new for us to know:  how
long the protection from   chicken pox lasts; whether vaccinated people have
more, less or the same number of shingles outbreaks; and whether there are any
other long term effects to consider.  On the other hand, we know that (even
breastfed) babies can get chicken pox and that it can be a very dangerous
disease (especially for adults).  I wish I could get comfortable on either the
public health "immunize everyone according to schedule" side or the informed
consent "the risk is unnacceptable for my kid" side of this issue.  Sometimes
I really envy the women who just do whatever their HCP says.....keeping an
open mind (and the responsibility for one's choices) has its drawbacks.

Elaine Ziska, LLLL
Jackson, MS
(3 hours inland from George and hoping that is far enough)