From:
Lisa Carroll <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 2010 12:36:52 -0400
Hello, I am so excited to be a part of this website. I am a RN and 2 yr Lactation Counselor. I work in a hospital setting and have no one to precept with so I am doing my best to reach out in cyber space and other local LC's to learn as much as I can. Thank you for being a great resource to me now and in the future.
My Question is, our policy at the hospital is to culture EBM for compromised/NICU babies, during which time we have mom pump and save all EBM. Culture takes 24 hrs then nursery may  store the EBM in the nursery freezer. The apparent reason for this culture is to not contaminate someone else's EBM even though the milk is in separate bags/bottles. Does this make sense to anyone or does anyone else have similar practice. How do other hospitals handle NICU and pumping moms.  Does anyone have an resource that I may use to help decide does this policy need to be changed. Thank you again for any and all suggestions!