From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Sep 2002 15:41:23 -0700
Now that we have been discussing hospital visits by LCs, I wanted to take
the discussion further - to increasing duration.  Follow-up service
availability is so important - and difficult to find in many areas.

In Puerto Rico (where it is not customary to have home visiting nurses), I
had a "clinic" where moms could come, pay what they could, and get my help.
 If I felt they needed an MD's services they could either go to their own
MD or to one of the 3 pediatricians who were my "bosses" - 2 had their own
pediatric practice.

Question:  If you have such a program in the US, do you have MDs who back
you up?  Do you refer moms to their own MD (and HOPE they will agree with
you about things such as treating both mom and baby for thrush)?  Are you
sponsored by any agency? (WIC, hospital, etc.)

I truly believe in home visiting as the ideal solution - but if not
available, is this a possibility?

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC
NEW e-mail address: [log in to unmask]