From:
Mary Wagner-Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jan 2012 22:12:36 -0800
Jaye wrote
< If it is used incorrectly the bottle is not
(necessarily) the problem - the technique is.  Parent's MUST be taught
properly and far too many are not which results in issues with
breastfeeding.>
I'll never forget working with a family with a bottle when what I said was
definitely not what the parents heard.  I had previously talked with the
parents over the phone, described cue-based bottle feeding techniques, both
stated they understood and were familiar with what I was describing.  Then
I actually saw them and observed their feeding method.  Both parents well
educated; dad a physician.  I learned while observing and helping them with
the bottle that what I described as overwhelm, on the verge of choking, Dad
interpreted as "keep it going; faster please."  Interesting, to say the
least.  I also find that sometimes parents really to think they're pacing
the feeds, and they are.  *They* are pacing the feeds, not the baby.  They
give baby just a smidgen of a break, and just as baby settles and breathes,
they tip that bottle back up and start the flow again.  Poor thing; has to
resume swallowing or choke. :(

Reminds me of an article I read entitled something like "They taught me,
but never let me practice," or something like that.  It is important that
we give parents the opportunity to practice in our presence, at the breast
or at the bottle.

Mary Wagner-Davis, MS, MFT, IBCLC
Roseville, CA