From:
Patrica Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 1999 23:47:32 -0400
Tina, Many years ago when I first began my "career" in Lactation I had a
friend who had a terrible breast abcess.  They cut her her from "here to
there", basically severing all the ducts in the lower half of her left
breast.  She went on to nurse her next four babies with 1 1/2 functioning,
emptying breasts.  That particular injured side never functioned, it would
fill   and then involute, altho the rest of the breast continued to
function.  She did NOT have trouble with mastitis.  She became an LLLL and
helped lots of other mothers.
As Pam mentioned there is also the possibility of some recanalization,
during breast growth in pg.  So tell the mom that the dr knows more about
uteri and vaginas than he does about breasts, leave the BF to her!

Now Pam,  dear - "ask the ob if she can have a "trial of lactation".  Who
is in charge of whose body here?  TELL the doctor that "I plan to BF."  It
is not his choice or decision. (Pam it must be bedtime in Africa and you're
tired ;-)  Sincerely, Pat in SNJ