From:
Lynn Carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jul 2005 07:35:20 -0500
On Monday, July 18, 2005, at 05:38 PM, LACTNET automatic digest system
wrote:

> It is very sad that alot of people don't know proper infant feeding =
> clues or cues. I have probably 2 or more cases per month of babies who =
> are not being fed enough and the weight loss is too great.

I see this at least monthly, because for reasons beyond the scope of my
understanding, babies can be discharged from the hospital here having
never nursed.  I assume that someone must have fed a bottle without the
mother's knowledge, to qualify the baby for discharge.  If a baby is
born drugged, cues are suppressed, and then if they get home before this
is resolved, no wonder the poor moms haven't a clue.

I actually had one mom say to me last week, "Whoever said that bf
doesn't hurt if you're doing it right doesn't know what they are talking
about, because IT HURTS!"   Well, she was *not* doing it right.  Baby
was 5 days old and literally had never transferred more than drops, but
she didn't know it because no one had taught her.  Baby had gotten into
the "I'm starving so I won't wake up to eat" place.  He looked scary to
me, but not to her, because she had never had close contact with a
newborn before.

I had to fight back tears, and I practically escorted her to a
bf-friendly physician.

This is so cultural, don't you think?  We shouldn't have to teach new
moms these things, because  they should be learning it from relatives
and friends.

Lynn

P.S. Last week I also saw a homeborn nb who went right to the breast and
was absolutely thriving.  It was so very refreshing.  At 8 days old, he
no longer had the newborn look, and was already plump.