Date:
Mon, 16 Mar 1998 14:23:33 -0600
At 11:22 AM 3/16/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi everyone!
>I have a client that I need some help with. Baby is 3 months old 9.3
>at birth now is 18.3 26 1/2" long fully breastfed. mom noticed some blood
>in his diaper.Started once a week then increased to once a day. Not a big
>amount she said. So she took him in and had the Dr. look at him.
>Immediately said that baby needed to stop breastfeeding and was put on that
>pre digested formula that starts with an A.

Surprise, Surprise!!! Oh, I get so mad!

>Mom is not happy about this.

Good for her.

>Said that her baby was allergic to the milk protein in her
>breastmilk. What could be causing the bleeding and shouldn't they have done
>a few tests on baby?

It could be a reaction to a milk protein--not human milk protein, but cow's
milk protein.  There is published research showing a connection between
blood in a baby's stools and cow's milk products in the mother's diet.

She would need to go off ALL dairy products (reading labels too) for at
least 2 weeks.  And, of course resume breastfeeding. In all probability the
bleeding will stop. I don't know why it began at 2+ months, but mom may
have changed her diet at this time.

If any other field of medicine was so heavily populated with undereducated
practitioners giving hazardous orders, we would be cautioning patients to
avoid them in the name of health.

Excuse me, but my patience is running a bit thin today after my last two
consults.

Patricia Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee

mailto:[log in to unmask]