From:
Norma Ritter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Nov 2008 06:39:21 -0500
Oh dear, Rachel, I hate to tell you this but in the USA, salt IS marketed!
Supermarkets advertise *Buy one get one free!*  There is also a famous
jingle,
*It never rains but it pours!* which refers to an additive used to stop the
salt clumping in damp weather.

When I first moved to the US, I laughed at how the gas stations advertised
*Free Air* for tyres and how one day somebody would be selling water in
bottles. Remind me not to joke about such things!

Which brings us back to breastfeeding.
Do we really want *That Other Stuff* aka TOS to be as ubiquitous as salt?
Do we WANT people to think of it as something everyone needs, something so
basic that it does not need to be advertised?
Whatever happened to the idea that TOS and it's associated paraphenalia
should really only be available by prescription?

Rachel O'Leary wrote:
>Think about ....maybe salt. Something really basic that we all use. We
know when we need some, we go to the shop and buy it. We don't worry
too much about what kind it is, though some may have their favourite
kind. We don't see ads for it on TV, on bill-boards, in magazines,
etc. There are not money-offs, buy-one-get-one-free offers, no fancy
packaging. Nobody gives us little sample packs. There are no brightly
coloured 'shelf-talkers' to attract our attention in the store. We do
not go around singing the jingle from the radio in our heads, our
children don't recognise the logo. Yet we manage to buy salt when we
need it and the salt producers manage to keep their businesses going.

Why can't bottles and teats be like this? We could simply buy one when
we need one.<

Norma Ritter, Lactosaurus
Mother of three breastfed children and five breastfeeding grandchildren.
LLLL since 1976
IBCLC since 1995
www.NormaRitter.com
http://normaritter.blogspot.com/