From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 09:09:11 EDT
In a message dated 8/24/00 3:55:58 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< one of the organizers asked about using tea tree oil while nursing. She
did not give me details (I had only come in the capacity of presenting LLL as
an option to the breastfeeding moms present) as to whether it was personal or
a question from one of her clients, but she did mention that she had Hales M
& MM and it wasn't in there. I've checked the archives and couldn't find a
mention. >>

Tea tree oil, as someone else reported, is a very useful antibacterial and
antifungal. Someone trying to treat candida could find it very helpful. For
example, a drop or two in the soles of shoes, or in underwear can treat
candida locally very effectively. However, it is not intended to be ingested,
except in *very* dilute amounts--in other words, you can put a couple of
drops in water and gargle with it, then spit it out. I would wonder if the
mother were using it for yeast on the breasts, and IMO this is safe with a
much older nursing child. I do not recommend it for nursing babies, but have
actually used it myself with a nursing 3 yr old. I had a yeast infection when
ds was 3 and I was pregnant with dd. I used tea tree after he nursed to sleep
at night and again after he nursed upon waking (the only 2 times per day he
nursed--until my milk came in, of course), and the yeast was gone w/in a few
days. I would imagine, but have not tried this, that I would be comfortable
using very dilute amounts (like the mouthwash) with a younger baby (not an
infant--there are better natural remedies), but it tastes and smells bad, so
the baby might not nurse. BTW, I have never found it to sting at all (rather
it is cooling--astringent) and I applied it liberally, not just a couple of
drops. However, on an open wound, I would dilute it. When my dh and ds went
to China for 2 weeks last year, I had to come up with a first aid kit of
anything I thought could really keep or get them out of trouble in a country
where they spoke only enough to get more beer with dinner. Tea tree oil absolu
tely went into the kit.
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA