From:
Lena Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Dec 2002 22:00:13 +0000
I exclusively pump.  When I experienced a few plugged ducts in the beginning I
would do the following:

Fill a bowl with "hot as you can handle" water and soak the breast for 5-10
minutes.  It is not the most comfortable thing to do.  I would also stand in
the shower with hot water running over the inflamed breast for 15-20 minutes.
Massage the breast pre and post pumping as well as while you pump.  Perhaps
use a little olive oil or lanlin to assist with massage and counter the
drying/chapping effect of the hot water.  Pump often.  I pumped every 30
minutes or so.  Make sure that she is using an Ameda/Hollister SMB or Medela
Classic/Symphony.

I believe it was at Cindy's site that I saw a dosage of 1200mg daily of
Lecithin will greatly decrease incidence of plugged ducts.  I took this amount
daily until I was 4 months post partum and never experienced another plugged
duct.

Lena

<SNIP> I have a mom who is exclusively pumping...Mom is suffering from a painful plugged duct that has not responded so far
to the usual measures.  Any other suggestions, particularly with respect to
pumping, that will help this mom get past the plugged duct?<SNIP>