From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 07:53:36 -0500
Good morning. Reading these notes with great interest, and thanks to those
who are responding to this thread.

Of course, there are instances where formula is a tool that needs to be
used. I would choose donor human milk first, as that is the next best choice
if mom's milk is not available, according to the 1997 AAP Statement on
Breastfeeding.   However, sometimes, formula is a tool that we use.

I am *not* advocating the  cruel blasting of  an adoptive mother who needs
to use formula in a supplemental nurser..etc.  ..or suggesting that we
spotlight a mother's use of formula and intentionally make her feel
inferior.  This serves no purpose.

I wonder, too, ... can we  *make* someone feel inferior...I think that guilt
comes from inside a person who is shaky in their decision anyway...and is a
multifaceted issue.
I use formula in certain situations, professionally, and when I use it, I am
glad to have it.  However.... I  *never*  promote it as an equal to
breastmilk, and we do talk about risks in a factual way so that the mother
can make informed decision. I would hope that her pediatrician also talks of
these potential problems, as the risks have been well-documented.

 I feel that it  isn't up to me to hide the fact that babies getting formula
have higher incidence of  insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus, as on
example.  If I, as a mother, knew that there were risks to my child from a
certain procedure or intervention, I might make a different choice, find
donor milk, borrow money to get it, fight the insurance company for it, etc.
If a mother is never informed of the true risks, she can never make an
informed decision, and grave health consequences may occur for her infant.

I think that what we do *not* say is just as important as what we *do*
say..and if we neglect to tell the truth as we know if from current
evidence, we may be guilty of professional neglect. I don't know, as I am
not a lawyer.

I am thinking of the  intentional misrepresentation of formula in normal
circumstances, where breastfeeding should be going well, but isn't  because
of the lack of skilled help...and where health care professionals put
formula on an even par with breastfeeding, for whatever reason....their own
personal history, their lack of knowledge about the basics of latch,
etc...their inability to help....their laziness with respect to the whole
process.

Thanks for the continuing thoughts.

Just another .03. Kathleen

Kathleen B. Bruce, BSN, IBCLC co-owner Lactnet, Indep. Consultant
Williston, Vermont
mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://homepages.together.net/~kbruce/kbblact.html
LACTNET Archives http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/lactnet.html