From:
Arly Helm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Sep 1995 04:48:27 -0700
>Arly and patricia: Please post citation re: overconcentration and
>amputation. We all need to have accurate information re Morbidity and
>Mortality
> by ABM in the US. Thanks. Anne Andrianos, MSN, IBCLC, LLL

JAMA 232 (1975): 1136  Abrams, C.A.L. et al.

I have the original somewhere in my files but I'll quote out of one of my
nutrition books:

"At the age of 6 weeks, Mary was placed in the care of her maternal
grandmother.  The grandmother felt that the child needed richer milk, as
the child had recently recovered from broncho-pneumonia.  Accordingly, for
the next five days, the grandmother fed the child undiluted evaporated
milk...

[Note:  when I first entered into the study of nutrition, ABM commonly
consisted of evaporated milk and corn syrup.  The "formulas" of today have
the same basic constitution, with some adjustments.  The commercial ABMs
have a somewhat lower solute load than unmodified cow's milk, but remain
significantly higher than breastmilk.]

"Despite aggressive medical procedures, gangrene developed in her feet and
in the lower portion of her legs.  On the 19th day of hospitalization, a
double amputation was performed (Abrams)."

(Principles and Issues in Nutrition, Y.H. Hui, Wadsworth Health Sciences
Division, 1985, pg. 252)

[log in to unmask] (Arly Helm, LC)