From:
Winifred Mading <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2007 10:36:15 -0500
A number of pregnancies are lost in the first weeks regardless of whether or not the mother is nursing.  Of course, if she was nursing, everyone is going to blame the loss on that.  Any time a mom has a misczrriage, she looks for something she did that "caused" it.  (In my case, I blamed the loss of my first pregnancy on the fact that I went spelunking-cave exploring-before I knew I was pg.  Finally I realized that it was going to happen whatever I did.
When a mom is nursing during a pregnancy, she has a chance of miscarrying, unrelated to the fact that she is nursing,  whether she weans or not.  Only she can decide if she will be able to separate the two in her mind.
What's so magical about "weaning by 20 weeks"?  The only thing I can think of is that after that date it would be considered preterm birth rather than miscarriage.

Winnie