From:
Jon Ahrendsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Mar 2000 09:19:18 EST
Powdered Blood?   Actually in my hometown of Manning Iowa USA we used to have
a factory called locally "the blood plant."  What they did at this plant was
to get the collected blood from cattle at the meat slaughterhouses and
process the blood.  My father gave me a tour of the plant once when I was a
small boy.  Basically they took the liquid blood and dried it into a powder.
The dried powder was then bagged and shipped off to other locations to be
used in fertilizer and in the manufacture of adhesives or glue.

The smell from the plant was pungent and noticeable.  Our farm was nearly
three miles from the plant and if the wind was from the North we could smell
the plant at our farm.

Jon Ahrendsen, MD FAAFP
Clarion, Iowa
now Ceduna, South Australia till October 2000