From:
lisa mooney RN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 02:19:00 EDT
Dear Lactnetters, Wondering if anyone saw the article in the San Diego Union
Tribune from a week ago entitled , "Protein in Mother's Milk may yield key to
cancer cure".  Very exciting news. Seems a phsysician and immunologist at
Lund University in Sweden has discovered that by mixing breast milk with
cancer cells , the cancer cells are compelled to die, "every type of cancer
cell". They orginally were using mother's milk to kill off bacteria and
inadverently observed the death of the cancer cells. They were originally
trying to pinpoint how the milk blocks the bacteria from infecting other
cells. Alpha-lactalbumin appears to be the pin pointed substance responsible
for keeping at bay  the uncontrolled growth of cancer cells. This protein is
bathed in acid and another mystery substance that is part of the milk
increases killer cell activity. They are not naming the mystery substance
publicly, as of yet.The research team has named this genetically generated
substance HAMLET, Human Alpha-Lactalbumin Made LEthal to Tumor Cells. They
are conducting animal tests at this time. Be interesting to see how clinical
trials turn out. Especially since the infant host has a naturally more acid
environment than the formula fed infant. Isn't Mother Nature grand? As for
the Dioxin, what is not to understand. We live in a paradise that we are
turning into a toxic waste dump, breastmilk or formula or cow's milk for that
matter, everything we breathe , eat and drink is contaminated. Until we as a
people begin to value balancing commitment to  authenticity to our
evolutionary needs versus our over active left sided hemisphere , we will
continue to destroy this precious paradise we live in. Side note on the HIV ,
in the July/Aug 1999 issue of Mothering there is an excellent editorial
written by an amazing HIV positive women in response to the question of
Breastfeeding safety, she by the way is pictured breastfeeding her 18 month
old, healthy son. She is as well versed as any physician on the HIV and AIDs
epidemic  in pregnant women and she has written a book entitled, " What if
everything you knew about AIDs was wrong? " Her name is Christine Maggiore.
Lisa Mooney, RN, BSN, CLE