Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 19:11:57 EST
In a message dated 12/14/00 7:01:28 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Jan, you wrote:

> anyway, all that to ask -- in our combined years of lactation experience,
> have any of you ever come across a mom who is coercing an older child to
> continue nursing for her own gratification?  I'm not talking about
> continuing
> to try and nurse a reluctant 9 month old, or 12 or 15 month old -- I'm
> talking about coercing -- with a "mommy won't love you" or whatever -- a 4
> or
> 5 year old child -- to continue?

I am sorry to say that yes I have seen this done.  The child had weaned very
happily, mom had another baby and kept after him to nurse again until he
finally (a least a month later) gave in and started nursing again.  Every
time she nursed the baby she put pressure on the older child to breastfeed
again.  It was by far the most unhealthy nursing relationship that I had ever
seen.

Dori