From:
Andrea Michele Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2001 21:35:30 -0600
Hello,

Flashback to three years and some months ago.  This sounds a lot like my
daughter.  She screamed and she nursed. She nursed and she screamed.  From
the first hour after birth until about 3 months of age.  Furious,
purple-faced, clenched little body.  Sometimes bathing worked, sometimes
massage worked, sometimes driving/walking/ dancing/ the sling/nursing
worked...and sometimes they didn't.   Homeopathy brought some relief to me,
if not always her.

The only thing that would settle her to feed when she got really into a
state and was far too disorganized to nurse effectively was to hold her
close into the nursing position and offer her my finger to suck for 30
seconds or so.  For whatever reason, she could focus on this stimulation and
it would soothe her long enough to calm and organize enough to then slip my
finger out and offer the breast.  Then she would nurse quite nicely.  Til
next time.

She was healthy, gained fabulously, no other problems with nursing.  Just
very very intense and easily over stimulated.  She progressed to biting in
annoyance from 10-12 months and didn't show any interest in any other food
til well over 11 months.  She started sucking her thumb as soon as she found
it and sucked it regularly in addition to nursing at least 10 times a day.
She too rolled over, strolled and walked early. She remains an extremely
bright, very spirited and intensely emotional child.  Parenting her is a
challenge and a joy.

Has physical birth trauma been ruled out?  Does she hold him differently
while giving a bottle?  Perhaps there is something very painful about the
nursing position that is eased in another position. Wasn't the case with my
daughter, but this can be a hidden cause of early breast refusal or
fussiness at the breast (I know, sounds like a massive  understatement in
this case!).

I wish her all the best and I strongly suggest she get some solid resources
for parenting the spirited child.   Even if these nursing issues are
resolved, it sounds like she is going to benefit from them for the next 18
years or so! :-)

I have no suggestions to make other than those you have mentioned yourself,
just a great deal of empathy.

Best,

AM Simmons, LLLL
Missouri, USA