From:
Sarah McCann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Mar 2011 11:25:46 +0000
Feel the need to comment on this one as I had a crying baby.  My first baby was a dream and I felt like a great mum.  Second baby cried a lot mostly in the evenings - and I felt like a terrible mum.  I remember in the very early weeks being at my mums house overnight (without my husband for support) and my son cried so much when we were trying to go to bed (together in the same bed) that I was scared of harming him.  Thankfully my brother eventually came in and helped - changing my son's babygro I think solved it, if I remember right. He did not like that babygro and only wore it twice!  (My mum and dad slept on a lower floor and they were dealing with my dad's illness - dementia).  My son cried loads in the first eight months from week 2.  I probably had oversupply.  I changed sides when I was bored feeding him on the first side!  17 years ago I had very little access to the kind of books we have now on attachment parenting - the internet has opened up access so much.  Due to distance I could only go to La Leche League meetings occasionally.  Please don't judge mums who feel like harming their babies due to crying.  The lack of sleep and not knowing what to do do something to your brain.  I was doing my best to be a good mum - attachment parenting, co-sleeping etc, etc, etc.  But my son made me feel like a terrible mum, and feeling like harming him only made me feel worse.  When my third baby arrived I knew more, had read more and when she started showing signs of crying I started block feeding.  I don't remember her crying much at all and having her was a very healing experience.

Mums need lots of support if their baby crys lots.  And if possible help trying to find the cause.

Best wishes,
Sarah McCann BScHons, IBCLC
www.BreastfeedingResourcesNI.co.uk