From:
Judy Ritchie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 19:15:10 -0800
I think we're blatantly told on TV all the time for everything that we
might desire, that "you deserve it--you owe it to yourself."

We're told we deserve to feel free of responsibility even though we now
have children to feed and raise.  It isn't really supposed to be
lifestyle changing, is it?

Perhaps for people in the entertainment and sports industry, who've
become this generation's role models, (who are the income strata of
those who used to be the aristocracy and have unlimited incomes), that
is the case and everyone aspires to act so independently.

Most of this generation's mommydom does not want to be "tied down."
I read how one speaker tell a group of women in a tribe (whether real or
fictional, I don't know), using this idiom.  They all were shocked that
that is what happens to women in our advanced culture who bear
babies--literal tying down.  We realize it is an absurd analogy that
everyone has bought into.  Not how breastfeeding is really liberating!

Judy Ritchie