From:
Cathy Bargar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 17:28:31 -0500
<<"some
assessment of breasts prenatally is imperative, "

I can't agree, as this promotes the idea that the "expert" can "see" if the
nipples are "within normal parameters".  To me this is the StarTrek
method --
the alien attacks (problem presents) -- immediately the crew (experts) know
what
reconfiguration of the warp nacells, transponder or Jeffries Tubes is
required
(gadget needed, physical configuration of breast of baby's palate to
blame) --
and they can zap the
difficulty.>>

Magda, I'm falling off my chair laughing at your characterization of my
phrase! I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound so stuffy - Captain Kirk of
Breastland here!

When you put it that way, that's not what I meant to say at all; all I meant
was that IF you're the person doing a prenatal exam, don't pretend she
doesn't have any breasts. You're absolutely right, it doesn't have to be in
a context of naked pregnant lady clutching her little paper cover around her
while uniformed HCP pronounces on her equipment! What I meant is, as you
said, it's important to talk about it a bit before the baby arrives. Most
women have absolutely no idea *how* milk gets produced. And, IMHO, women
find it reassuring to have the breast changes they may have noticed linked
to the fact that they're getting ready to make milk for the baby. They,
themselves, personally, not just "pregnant women" or "women who plan to
breastfeed". (Even if they hadn't thought much about breastfeeding, it's
helpful to "connect-the-dots" for them - lots of moms haven't ever really
thought about how strongly programmed our bodies are to make milk after our
babies are born. So when you relate it to what's happening to THEM, they can
"get it" - and sometimes it helps to change their thinking.)

Thanks for bringing me back to the Mother Ship!

Cathy Bargar