From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jan 2006 10:33:39 -0500
I was asked to post this by a breastfeeding educator:

I was called this evening with questions about weaning by a mother (and she said I could share this information with Lactnet).
28 yr old female breastfeeding first child who is 9 months old.  He breastfeeds every 3 hours day and night.  He has never had formula.  He will drink from a sippy cup.  Mom has not been aggressive in offering table foods.  Mom feels sad about weaning, and  voiced concerns about "missing breastfeeding."  She was told to wean 3 months ago in November, when she was diagnosed with Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia.  She continued to breastfeed even though three doctors told her to wean.  Her osteoporosis is very severe, and she is at risk for fractures.  Her T score and Z score are -3.4.  They think the osteoporosis is related to her history of hyperparathyroidism at age 17, and at that time she had her parathyroid removed.
She wants to be pregnant by the end of the year, and her endocrinologist advised her to wean immediately "to give her bones time to prepare before they are leached again with pregnancy."
Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC  Ithaca, NY  USA
www.wiessinger.baka.com