From:
Fiona Coombes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 May 1995 12:24:00 GMT
Hi Marie
It is interesting that you mention this, as I have recently been helping a
mum with very similar problems. She had a small baby (about 5 1/2 pounds)
who was feeding quite well until mum was told to wake the baby every 2-3
hours around the clock to feed it as it was not gaining weight at the
rate her child health nurse felt was appropriate (baby was gaining 4-6 oz
per week). Baby was then 3 weeks old.
As soon as she started 'forcing' the baby to feed, a vicious circle of
breast refusal, poor feeds, lower weight gain, reduced milk supply, and
more refusal due to poor supply began. Mum was extremely anxious, pushed to
bottle feed from all sides, and desparate to keep breastfeeding this baby
who screamed as soon as the breast came into view. It would take ebm from
a bottle or cup with no problems, but mum found expressing hard.
What could we do??
She very patiently tried all the tricks for getting a baby to the breast
without it getting too stimulated (as you suggested). Eventually we found
that the baby would suck for longer and seem much less anxious if we used
a 'supply line' (I think they're called lact-aids in the US) - at least
then baby got a 'reward' of milk as soon as she took the breast, as by
then mum's supply was low and let-down took a while. I'm hoping that each
positive experience at the breast will give some positive feedback to this
baby, and will break the cycle of 'breast phobia', but it is early days
yet (although baby is now 10 weeks old). If anything interesting happens,
I'll keep you posted.