Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Nov 1996 07:33:47 PST
Content-Type:
TEXT/PLAIN
Parts/Attachments:
TEXT/PLAIN (22 lines)
        I see too many new mothers returning home after delivery convinced that they will
never be able to get their babies to latch on without the help of two other pair of
hands. It is, apparently, common practice at our local hospital for two nurses to
*assist* mothers to breastfeed. One nurse stands behind the mother, and puts her own
hands on the mother's breasts to support them. The other nurse stands in front,
positioning the baby. As soon as the baby opens his mouth, he is pushed onto the breast.
        These mothers are fully awake, not in a coma! Yes, the babies have been fed, but
where is the tender interaction between mother and child that transforms breastfeeding
into an act of love? Both the mother and babe have been disenfranchised. I usually see
these mothers a few days after hospital discharge, and they come as a last resort. We
often cry together. This is such a travesty of a beautiful relationship. I help them by
first letting them play with baby dolls, teaching them to postion for latch on with
*practice* babies who do not complain or cry, and then, when they have gained some
confidence, working with the real babies.
        New mothers have so many questions and so many doubts about their own abilities.
Surely it is part of our role to nurture them and boost their confidence? There is so
much more to breastfeeding than the transference of milk.

Norma Ritter, IBCLC, LLLL
[log in to unmask]
"If not now, when? If not us, who?" R. Hillel

ATOM RSS1 RSS2