From:
Diane Karnbach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 1996 14:41:02 -0500
Margery,

I was very interested in your post about mother/couples wanting pumps.  I
have had a lot more calls lately from moms interested in getting pumps as
well.  I wonder why?  When I ask what she will be using it for the answer I
usually get is to give a relief bottle or so others can be involved in the
feeding too.

I probably give them the same information you do; hand expression is great
for a relief bottle, dads can do other things, etc.  I have also interpreted
the silence I hear as the "senile relative" syndrome you so aptly discribed!
Kind of like talking to dead air.

When my first child was born in a Naval Hospital in 1986 she was given
bottles and pacifiers in the hospital and was badly nipple confused (a study
in how to do everything possible to sabatage breastfeeding!)  When I tried
to get help I was told by 3 different medical folks that it looked like I
was doing everything right (wrong!) and to just keep on trying (crying?).  I
knew she was not getting any milk at the breast because she would not latch
on at all so I decided to pump and feed it in a bottle.  I did this for 8
weeks total.  It was a very tiring, time-consuming effort.  I have lots of
respect for moms who do this because they have to. I just don't know why
anyone would do it willingly!

I know my experiences have influenced my opinions and I do try to accept
each mom where she is at in her mothering but this one is always a difficult
one for me.

Diane Karnbach, LLLL
Virginia Beach, VA