From:
"Vicki.Ryan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 May 2006 07:44:02 -0700
     when I was pregnant with Lachlan, a cashier at the grocery store asked
me when I was due (I said "any minute now") and if I had everything ready
yet. I looked down at my breasts, and answered, "yes they're ready (touching
my breasts). I have everything I need- these (looking down at the breasts),
diapers, and a carseat." ....to people who asked, "is his crib/room ready
yet?" I answered, "he doesn't need a crib or his own room. he'll be sleeping
in bed with us so he can nurse whenever he wants and we all get enough
sleep."

      to all the strangers at the stores, to the other parents at the boys'
school, and to all the new parents I saw when I was working, I played up the
*free* and *convenient* aspects of breastfeeding, that all I needed to leave
the house was my breasts and a diaper, and all I needed in the house was my
breasts and my bed, my chest, my arms, my lap, my body....that new babies
don't care what color "their" room is painted or how it's decorated or about
the toys...that *I* don't need nursing bras (they are nice to have but not
necessary) or nursing shirts (I don't try really hard to be discreet when I
NIP, how else are people going to see/learn what's normal?)...thankfully
since I'm not going back to work this time, I don't *need* a breastpump or
bottles....I use the nursing pillow when I'm eating at the kitchen table to
get him the right height and be able to use my dominant (right) hand if he's
nursing on my dominant breast (right side is a serious overachiever), but
most of the time I'm in the recliner or glider or on the couch or in the bed
and don't use a pillow

    I know there will always be people countering the "it's free" argument
with why it's not (paraphenalia that isn't always necessary, time/energy
investment), but I still promote it!

~Vicki Hayes RN IBCLC, WA,  whose arms are sore and getting muscular since
Lachlan is 10 weeks today and 15 pounds...so the sling/wrap wasn't free, but
I know how to make one out of an old sheet!