From:
Jodine Chase <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 2003 23:29:40 -0700
Whoops, sorry. I'll try again -- Jodine

On 10/29/03 10:13 PM, "laurie wheeler" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Janice
> I didnt' read the article or go to the website, but I think this might be a
> case of comparing an infant's diet to an adult's diet. for example,
> breastmilk contains cholesterol, necessary for development, but adults are
> supposed to limit chol. intake. Breastmilk having trans fats in it, so what?
> The infant is growing and developing the eyes, CNS, etc. Adults are not
> infants. We do not exist only on milk, but infants do. So, yes, I think this
> is fear mongering. Well said.
>
> Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, MN, RN
> New Orleans Louisiana, s.e. USA

FYI, CTV, which is working jointly with the Globe and Mail and is airing a
series on trans fat, carried this item this evening. It addresses food
labeling and notes that in Denmark trans fats are banned from food.

"Dr. Steed Stender, the head of the Danish Nutrition Council. "Instead of
warning consumers about trans and telling them what it is, we've simply
removed it. As they say in North America: 'You can put poison in food, if
you label it properly.' Here in Denmark, we remove the poison and people
don't have to know anything about trans fatty acids.""

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1067466745261_62875945//
/?hub=TopStories

Or

http://makeashorterlink.com/?Z60E21166

The announcer ended with a promise that tomorrow we will learn "why babies
are perhaps at greatest risk."

-- Jodine Chase