From:
Sulman Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Nov 1995 22:09:49 +0500
To Catherine, Jan, Patricia, who suggested that the flat nipples after
epidurals may be an artifact of engorgement.  You have raised a very valid
point.  As a LLL leader I don't ordinarily see mothers in the hospital, so
I can't check this situation out myself.  I raised the question because the
observations by the Georgetown U. faculty at their facility, reported in
the classes they gave here last week, interested me.  I was not previously
aware of this phenomenon, and thought that those who want to do some
research on epidurals might like to include this in effects they look at.
(I'm sorry, I forget the name of the person who earlier sought questions to
look at relating to epidurals.)  I had heard much discussion of effects of
epidurals on the baby's sucking, but the "flat nipple" information helped
me remember, again, how much breastfeeding and its progress is very much a
two-way street, with factors in both mother and baby continually
interacting and affecting each other.  I still consider myself a relative
novice in the breastfeeding field. I continue to learn so much on Lactnet.
Thank you all for sharing your expertise, experiences in different
settings, and wisdom gained from the many mothers and situations you have
dealt with.
Anne Altshuler, RN, MS, IBCLC and LLL Leader in Madison, WI