From:
Regina Roig-Lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 2006 10:05:03 -0400
Jaye said:  <<To all who have written re: this - keep the discussion
coming - it is important - IBLCE needs to know how we feel about this.

Okay, here it is, short and simple:  Had I known that renewing my
initials this year would force me to STOP telling women the TRUTH as
science currently understands it to be, had I known that renewing my
certification would require me to facilitate and reaffirm errors and
falsehoods about what it takes to breastfeed, I WOULD NOT HAVE RE-TAKEN
MY TEST THIS YEAR.  I would have allowed my certification to expire,
something that I never dreamed I would allow to happen.

But as others have said, more eloquently than I, my clients are better
off without my initials.  I am not an RN; I have no other certification.
I am a teacher - my B.S. is in education.  As far as I am concerned this
is a teaching profession and no one will convince me otherwise.

This scope of practice forbids me to give women evidence-based
information if that information is contrary to what her doctor has told
her.

Well, here's a clue, IBLCE:  that's EXACTLY WHAT SHE'S COMING TO ME FOR.
She doesn't trust her doctor or anyone else she's talked to about
breastfeeding thus far, because she knows she's not getting the help she
needs from them.  She wants HELP.  Help equals the facts.  Regardless of
whether or not other professionals to whom she has spoken are aware of
those facts.

Up until this new Scope of Practice came out, she could get that help
from me.

Now she can't, without my risking my certification.  I'm with Jan (I
believe, who said this): why bother? Want your initials back?  You might
as well take them because I don't know how to do this job and agree with
every stupid piece of misinformation my clients are subjected to....

Regina Roig Lane, BS IBCLC (although heaven knows what good that does
anyone anymore)
Senior Lactation Consultant
Miami-Dade County Health Dept WIC/Nutrition Breastfeeding Program
7785 NW 48 ST, Suite 300
Miami FL 33166
786-336-1333 x162

All commands go to [log in to unmask]