From:
vgthorley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Feb 2006 11:32:50 +1000
Hi
Last week I had a conversation about the power of women's magazines in influencing health behaviour, through articles and ads.  I think this is important to all of us in the breastfeeding community, as promotion of breastfeeding needs to be targeted where it is most likely to be heeded.  (Let's not forget the importance of providing positive influences on girls and young women who are the mothers of the future, since the infant-feeding decision is commonly made before conception or in first trimester.)

Over the last several years I have been analysing aspects of magazine content as part of a larger study.  Although I know that such studies with actual figures exist, I have been unable to find a reference for the influence of women's magazines on women's behaviour.  All I've been able to find has been on behaviours such as those linked to body image and appearance.  The search terms I'm used online haven't worked out, and I may be searching the the wrong databases.

I believe there was a survey in South Africa on the influence of women's magazines on women's behaviour, and I think - but am not sure - that it was in relation to mothers and baby care.  Anecdotally, I've heard there were figures.  Does anyone have details on this, or on other surveys in Western countries, so that I can follow up references?  (No, the article by Henderson et al on their survey of portrayal of infant feeding in British print media and television (BMJ 2000) doesn't provide the sort of specific information I am looking for.)

I'm currently "nomail" and would appreciate receiving replies *privately*.
Many thanks
Virginia

Virginia Thorley, OAM, DipEd, GC TESOL, MA, IBCLC
Lactation Consultant.
Cultural Historian working in the History of Medicine.
PhD candidate, School of HPRC,
University of Queensland, St Lucia, Queensland, Australia