From:
Jacquie Nutt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Sep 2013 05:43:22 +0200
Hi Paula

Penny and Pamela have sent a few options with some good links.  I also
looked at the 2-gallon device you linked to, and it seems very expensive
and way too big.  She's going to use it about once a week, if that, and not
for that many weeks, depending on how quickly she can supply volume herself
while relactating.  It's also not clear to me if individual jars are
processed inside, or if the full volume of 2 gallons goes into one
container.

I have used the FoneAstra suggested by Penny and it's a lovely low-tech
method. A batch of about 300-350 mls/ 12-13 oz can be ready for use in 15
to 20 minutes. (More details below, including an even simpler method).  I
was able to use it successfully for many months to supply our hospital with
all its DBM.  I would still be using it, but the hospital itself purchased
a 3 litre commercial pasteuriser (ie half the volume of the machine your
client is considering!).   I'm not entirely thrilled with the commercial
pasteuriser for many reasons, but it makes us look more professional.

Before I got the FoneAstra, I had an even lower-tech version that worked
fine (each batch was sampled and sent for microbiological testing).  I had
read about the FoneAstra and thought about how I could emulate the process
to get similar results.  So best that I quickly go over the FoneAstra
method.
Requirements:
Pot and stove
3 Glass Jars for milk - I have always seen 125 ml/4oz jars used - not sure
if the method has been proven for larger jars (Penny?)
Extra jar for water with temperature probe through lid to act as the monitor
Stand (to keep the jars off the base of the pot)
Smart phone loaded with the FoneAstra app.
Water bath and ice packs
Method
1.  Fill jars with available milk, and water jar to the same level and same
temperature (ie use refrigerated water to match the temp of the milk) and
seal with lids.
2. Place in stand in pot on stove - water in pot to be slightly above the
level of the milk.
3. Connect the probe to the smart phone and start the app.
4. Turn on the stove and wait for the phone to give the audio and visual
signals that the correct temperature has been reached.
5. Remove stand with jars and place into tap-water bath.
6. Once the jars have adapted to the cooler water (about 1 minute) add ice
packs for quicker cooling - you are aiming to get below 25 degrees C before
10 mins.
Connecting to a printer if available will provide a report of the process
and labels for the jars, but this part would be unnecessary at home.

Simpler method
Requirements
Pot and stove
125 ml/4oz glass jars
1 jar of water with hole poked through to hold a kitchen thermometer
Water bath
Own eyeballs
Method
1&2 as above
3. Insert kitchen themometer through hole in water jar lid.
4. Turn on stove and watch till thermometer registers 72 degrees C/162F.
5&6 as above.  In fact, I didn't think of ice packs, but moved the jars to
another container of iced water, and that worked extremely quickly.  Don't
be impatient, as it's tragic to have an exploding jar of hot milk!
I didn't have a stand for the jars at the time, but can see the advantages
(ie removing them at one time AND keeping the jars off the pot base) and
can also see the disadvantages, because without a stand I could gently
swirl the jars at times to make sure they were heating evenly, and could
fit in an extra jar if I had more milk than usual to process.

I think I have a few photos if that would help.

I agree that if I was getting donor milk from strangers, I would be
inclined to home pasteurise, but it seems totally unnecessary to purchase
an expensive machine that can only be used for that one purpose, especially
when the mother will be supplying her own milk too and will not need the
machine for long.

Good luck for her relactation efforts.

Jacquie Nutt IBCLC
Drops4Life