From:
The Mullers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 08:07:18 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Automatic digest
processor
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2002 12:10 AM
To: Recipients of LACTNET digests
Subject: LACTNET Digest - 22 Jan 2002 (#2002-100)

To Trina;

I am a hospital LC. I work with newborns and premies. In other words,
the early learning days. I like the different holds for diffent reasons.
I find the sandwich hold works well with flattish, soft nipples and
mothers with "loosey-goosey" breasts. It stabilizes the tissue and helps
the nipple be felt by the baby. The teacup hold seems to works well with
dense breasts but movable, stretchable nipple and areola; and especially
benefits those little babies who won't open wide in the early days. We
also use a hold we call "biscuit",which is similar to sandwich, escept
there is no pull-back of the breast tissue - simple a "squinching"
together of the nipple and areola, so baby can get farther back on the
breast at the beginning instead of slurping in.
As far as which position works best, I'm anxious to hear what others
say, but I have found it depends of the baby and the mother. Mothers
size and shape of her breast - how "perky" she is, etc. impacts the
position a great deal. Also, baby's birth trauma,(or lack thereof)
affects what he is comfortable with. I don't prejudge what hold or
position I may suggest until I assess the situation, and of course
consult with the mother.
The discussion about the heat and cold is interesting and probably will
go on for some time. We still use heat for about 2-3" before feeding  or
pumping , if engorged. I find it relaxes the mother. But the most
important part is gentle but deep massage before and during pumping.
Supporting the breasts during pumping and making the mother comfortable
is essential. After the feeding or pumping we recommend cold for 20
minutes, or cabbage. I'm beginning to love cabbage.
But I do think it makes fathers want corned beef for dinner.( :
Cheryl Muller, RNC. IBCLC

. " 2. With both hands forming a "C" on each side of the
sandwich, squeeze it a little to make a more oval shape.  Note, the
thumbs
are well out of the way to allow for the bite.  3. The bottom jaw, or
mandible, drops as the underside of the sandwich is brought near.  4.
When
the sandwich reaches the mandible, the maxilla is allowed to drop on the
sandwich allowing for a big bite.  By using this "sandwich" analogy the
breast can be thought of as a big sandwich that the infant must contact.
Wiessinger has demonstrated this approach using water balloons filled
enough
so that when squeezed the mothers fingers come together in the middle.
In
most cases, once latch has successfully been achieved, there is no need
maintain the sandwich shape.
        I am unsure of how effective this technique is, but it sounds
promising to
me.  Finally, my question to you is this: considering all the different
breastfeeding positions and holds (the football hold, cradle hold,
scissor-hold, "C" hold, etc.), which one is most commonly used in your
area
of work and which one seems to work most effectively with breastfeeding
mothers and infants?"

Thank you,
Trina Seeba S.N.