Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 17:23:19 EST
I had a phone call from a mom whose baby is 4 months old. She has been back to
work, is doing some pumping, some breastfeeding, gives baby some formula &
some solids. Her dilemma is that left breast is not producing much milk, right
breast is producing lots...she says it is twice as large as left & is very
noticeable now. This has been going on for about 6 weeks. She wants to
continue breastfeeding & is trying to increase the milk in left breast by
nursing & pumping. Baby has learned that there is not much milk in left one so
doesn't stay on but a few minutes at a time. she has no history of breast
surgery, engorgement, mastitis, or sore nipples. She does say that the left
breast (the one without much milk) is a little tender.  Do you think that
there could be something going on with the left breast? A disease or condition
that would diminish milk in that side only.
I did recommend that she BF and/or pump about 8 times per day for a couple of
days to see if that would increase milk supply. She has a medela hand pump
that she likes & gets lots of milk from right side.
She is very eager to get  answers to her problem....
So, if you have any ideas as to what may have caused the reduction in milk in
one breast or how to increase the milk supply in one side please let me know.
I will be talking to her at the end of the week.

TIA,
Laura Hart, RN, BSN, IBCLC
Winter Park FL , where it is warm & humid...feels almost like summer