From:
Lisa Marasco IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Dec 2005 20:48:49 -0800
>>"Girls from the valley had larger breasts than those from the foothills,
but
LESS MAMMARY GLAND TISSUE( Environmental Health Perspectives,
DOI:10.1289/ehp.8280). [ Caps are mine for emphasis]<<

>>I wonder what the implications for breast function is, when these girls
come
of age to birth and babyfeeding...<<

Well now, this is very interesting because I've had a couple of young
Mexican women whom I've worked with who have had insufficient mammary tissue
and resultant insufficient milk production. Their mothers had normal breast
tissue and normal breastfeeding histories, there were no other risk factors,
they were otherwise young and healthy, and things just weren't adding up for
me. They grew up in Mexico....

I have on hand several references regarding the impact of environmental
contaminants, including pesticides, on reproductive functions, including
mammary development. A couple were from Mexico. This study is just one more,
a disturbing trend, and another "aha, maybe I was right" for me and my
clients. Here in California we both employ migrant workers from Mexico as
well as are surrounded by agriculture and pesticides in general-- the
potential for such exposure is great, and I often wonder if this is why I
seem to see so much inexplicable insufficient milk production while some LCs
seem to see so little in other parts of the country.

Lisa Marasco
Santa Maria, CA