From:
Pamela Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jul 2008 14:30:06 +0100
Morgan

Fascinating!!   The magic ingredient is described
as a prebiotic oligosaccharide.  The blurb says,
"Prebiotic oligosaccharides are a type of
carbohydrate and are a major component of human
breast milk.  They help strengthen the baby’s
immune system by encouraging good bacteria   to
flourish in the gut.  IMMUNOFORTIS is the unique
patented blend of prebiotic oligosaccharides used
in this study.  It is available in the UK in the
Aptamil range of baby milks."  But it's really
lactobacillus, right - the common and normal
bacteria found in the gut of the breastfed baby.

And you're right.  No control group of
exclusively breastfed babies.  The study only
compares the health of two groups of formula-fed
babies.   The blurb says that over 200 infants
completed the initial six-month study in which
they were randomly assigned to be fed a standard
hypoallergenic formula milk that was supplemented
either with the prebiotic mixture or an inactive
placebo. Of these infants, 134 were followed up
for two years.   But the actual abstract (found
on Medline, copied below) says that there were
only 152 participants.  Only those babies who
were switched to formula within the first 2 weeks
of life were of interest to the researchers (at
least 75% of them, even though it says that all
200 mothers were "encouraged" to breastfeed - what a damning testament).

Even worse, from the blurb, is this:

"Allergies and infections are extremely common
among young children, cause significant morbidity
and distress to the individual and are an
expensive burden on healthcare resources.  For
instance, atopic dermatitis is estimated to
affect one in five babies aged between 0 and six
months[8], that is around 150,000 of new births annually[9].

"Children experience, on average, between four
and six upper respiratory tract infections each
year[10] and 10 to 15 per cent of children suffer
at least 12 colds per year[10].  Over 40 per cent
of children who suffer from cold symptoms are
prescribed antibiotics[11].   The cost to the NHS
of caring for childhood tonsillitis, just one
aspect of URTIs, for example, has been estimated at £60m per year."

Imagine the infections averted, the prescriptions
and the £££ saved if all infants were truly
encouraged and helped to receive the naturally
occurring goodies in mothers' milk!

Here is the actual abstract of the Arslanoglu
paper: from J Nutr. 2008 Jun;138(6):1091-5. Early
dietary intervention with a mixture of prebiotic
oligosaccharides reduces the incidence of
allergic manifestations and infections during the
first two years of life. Arslanoglu S, Moro GE,
Schmitt J, Tandoi L, Rizzardi S, Boehm G.  Center
for Infant Nutrition, Macedonio Melloni Hospital,
University of Milan, Milan 20129, Italy. [log in to unmask]

A mixture of neutral short-chain
galactooligosaccharides (scGOS) and long-chain
fructooligosaccharides (lcFOS) has been shown to
reduce the incidence of atopic dermatitis (AD)
and infectious episodes during the first 6 mo of
life. This dual protection occurred through the
intervention period. The present study evaluated
if these protective effects were lasting beyond
the intervention period. In a prospective,
randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled
design, healthy term infants with a parental
history of atopy were fed either a
prebiotic-supplemented (8 g/L scGOS/lcFOS) or
placebo-supplemented (8 g/L maltodextrin)
hypoallergenic formula during the first 6 mo of
life. Following this intervention period, blind
follow-up continued until 2 y of life. Primary
endpoints were cumulative incidence of allergic
manifestations. Secondary endpoints were number
of infectious episodes and growth. Of 152
participants, 134 infants (68 in placebo, 66 in
intervention group) completed the follow-up.
During this period, infants in the scGOS/lcFOS
group had significantly lower incidence of
allergic manifestations. Cumulative incidences
for AD, recurrent wheezing, and allergic
urticaria were higher in the placebo group,
(27.9, 20.6, and 10.3%, respectively) than in the
intervention group (13.6, 7.6, and 1.5%) (P <
0.05). Infants in the scGOS/lcFOS group had fewer
episodes of physician-diagnosed overall and upper
respiratory tract infections (P < 0.01), fever
episodes (P < 0.00001), and fewer antibiotic
prescriptions (P < 0.05). Growth was normal and
similar in both groups. Early dietary
intervention with oligosaccharide prebiotics has
a protective effect against both allergic
manifestations and infections. The observed dual
protection lasting beyond the intervention period
suggests that an immune modulating effect through
the intestinal flora modification may be the principal mechanism of action.
----------------
Lastly, also intriguing is that lactobacillus
added to formula appears to be generating a _lot_
of interest lately.  A few days ago another
Lactnetter reported on a study about another
magic formula which could be used to prevent HIV
through breastfeeding - mental gymnastics
required here, since mixed formula and breastfed
HIV-exposed babies are at most risk, and
exclusively breastfed babies - who have not had
the formula! - are at least risk.  But a similar
principle, the use of lactobacillus added to
standard formula, seems to have been the
mechanism.  More can be found at
http://www.aidsmap.com/en/news/E8DF138A-3F73-4C3F-B800-BC16F242BD5D.asp

Pamela Morrison IBCLC
Breastfeeding and HIV Co-coordinator
World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action (WABA)