From:
Chris Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 May 2005 13:11:40 -0400
While I was trying to help the mom with the hypertonic arching baby who
had difficulty latching (my last post), my husband brought to my attention
an article in the last issue of JAMA (May 18, 2005 vol. 293 No. 19) on the
prevalence of neonatal problems associated with women who are on anti-
depressants during the last trimester of their pregnancy. I hadn't
mentioned in my last post that anti-depressant use was a factor with this
mom, because I never considered it relevant. However, after reading the
article, I now realize that SSRI use among pregnant women (and those
lactating?)may account for a significant portion of the problems we are
seeing.
   The researchers analyzed all the studies out there plus considered the
FDAs adverse drug reaction reports. They conclude that many SSRI babies (10-
15%)are subject to the same kind of withdrawal effects that adults go
through when they try to quit these drugs. Included in the long list of
adverse reactions are poor suck leading to tube feeding, increased tone -
rigidity, decreased tone, hyperreflexia, irritability, agitation, emesis,
diarrhea and tremors.  It appears that some of these reactions may also be
the result of serotonin syndrome -- not the discontinuation of the drug,
but the use of it.
    Please email me if you want me to send you the complete article in an
attachment.

Chris