From:
Patrica Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 19:06:39 -0500
Oh wow!  Dostinex, a dopamine receptor agonist,  is used for
hyperprolactinemia and in USA specifically says USE OF DOSTINEX FOR THE
INHIBITION OR SUPPRESSION OF PHYSIOLOGIC LACTATION IS NOT RECOMMENDED.
Under Precautions it goes on to say "Dostinex is not indicated for the
inhibition or suppression of physiologic lactation.  Use of bromocriptine
[parlodel], another dopamine agonist for this purpose, has been associated
with cases of hypertension, stroke and seizures."

Makes you wonder where these HCPs take pharmacology courses!  Walking in
the aisles of the local drug store????  When I was taking an advanced pharm
course ( I was already IBCLC) we had to write a paper on a drug and I wrote
on Parlodel (which was just being banned for pp moms) because all the
nurses on my unit thought it was only fair that I research parlodel :-)
Sincerely, Pat in SNJ