From:
Amir family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 19:40:52 +1000
<I'm looking for some references regarding killing candida albicans in
breastpumps by boiling at 100oC (as apposed to 160oC). I thought that it is
killed off completely (i.e. including spores) at temperatures above 60oC?>

My candida "bible", Candida and Candidosis by FC Odds (1988) says
"The pathogenic Candida species usually die within minutes of temperatures
above 50 degrees C." (p14).
He gives four references - I could send the citations if you really need
them (none of them are recent or easily accessible journals).
By the way, Candida don't have spores. The blastospore IS the candida
organism in its yeast state, and can change to the hyphal (long) form when
the conditions are right for tissue invasion.
Lisa Amir
MBBS, MMed, IBCLC in Melbourne, Australia - just received a "new" candida
article from my friend, Kay Hoover: "Cutaneous candidiasis as a cause of
delayed surgical wound healing". Giandoni MB, Grabski WJ. J Am Acad Dermatol
1994; 30: 981-4. Sounds like great bedtime reading ;-)