Date:
Tue, 7 Jun 2011 16:40:23 +0200
>I am an IBCLC and a Prenatal Instructor. My manager has just
>distributed a large amount of information to all instructors (who
>many are not trained in the health care system) on the types of
>formula on the market, what's in them, whats not in them. They were
>told they can use this information if someone in class requests it.
>I am struggling with this because it is a prenatal class. I was told
>"talking about types " of formula is not promoting it! Argghhh! Has
>anyone else run into this? I need help!

Would it help to point out that under UNICEF Baby Friendly, group
instruction/education on formula is proscribed, because of two
reasons:

i) it is not a safe or effective way to teach.  Individuals who need
this information are best taught individually, so they retain the
information better, which is safer for their babies. How is a mother
going to remember several months down the line (and it may well be
that - she may well breastfeed at first and use formula later) that X
is different from Y, and all the other suff you might find you are
asked?  Speaking to her individually, close to the time when she
needs the info, is much better

ii) it normalises formula feeding by assuming they are all likely to
need this information

I think it is fair enough to answer a question from an individual in
a class with an explanation that you can share the info they are
seeking after the class, and add that while there are different
formulas, they are all made according to parameters  laid down by the
international Codex. More details can be shared in a leaflet if they
want it.

Most classes would simply not have time to go into more detail
anyway, and still leave time for breastfeeding.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc, tutor, UK

--
http://www.heatherwelford.co.uk