From:
"Opal Horvat, LLL Leader" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 May 1997 22:07:51 -0400
Date:    Sat, 3 May 1997 23:25:25 -0400
From:    "Kathy Dupuis, LLL Leader" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Carnation/Nestle-Overwaitea/Save-On 'Merger'

To any concerned Leaders and Debra R.!

Wed. April 30th I spoke with an Overwaitea rep. and her boss, Ron Ballard,
was out of town 'for a week'.  She was to order 5000 formula gift baskets
made up that day but decided to delay until the boss came back because of the
internet petition from Ruth Johnson and my own phone call.  She felt
Carnation had not been upfront (surprise!) and that Overwaitea had no idea
that they would be in violation of The World Health Organization's  Code of
Advertising Breastmilk Substitutes. NOTE: Her boss may know and not care,
however!

It is a one-year contract Overwaitea/Carnation is to sign and includes not
only a gift basket which includes formula for all new mothers in the
community but also a mailing (coupons etc.) to mothers at babies' ages 3, 6,
9 mos. and 1 year.

I feel Carnation/Nestle are using B.C./Alberta as a test case and if this is
successful YOU WILL SEE THIS IN YOUR TOWN!

I found an internet address from an advertisement Overwaitea made for a
VicePres. in an issue of the Globe and Mail :  [log in to unmask] for
those who are adventuresome!

There is a toll-free # - 1-800-242-9229 and an address:
Ron Ballard
c/o Overwaitea/Save-On Foods
Box 7200
Vancouver, B.C.
V6B 4E4

They need to hear that handing out formula impacts breastfeeding in a
negative way and undermines efforts on behalf of volunteers like ourselves.
 Thank you!

I also have an address for a Canadian Government Committee that is studying
whether to make compliance with the WHO Code mandatory for anyone that's
interested in writing.  E-mail me privately.

Could someone please send info. to LACTNET?  I don't know how to do it but
Melissa Kirsch suggested it go there - help!

Kathy Parkes Dupuis