From:
Carole Jernigan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Oct 2001 09:40:10 -0700
Hi Doris...
Just personal experience here.  My oldest was under 12
weeks old (it was before I went back to work),
exclusively breastfed, and did not have a bowel
movement for 9 days.  I am an RN, so I was watching
her appetite, listening to her bowel sounds with my
stethoscope, etc., but I was concerned enough to call
the ped office.  The nurse there reassured me that, if
I had not started solids and if Emma was nursing as
usual, passing gas, and showing no signs of
discomfort, that I should not worry, that she would go
"eventually".

Two days later, she was fretful, not wanting to nurse,
bowel sounds were definitely more sluggish, and she
had gone from passing nice, healthy sounding flatus (I
am trying to phrase this politely!!) to passing
little, high-pitched, tight-sounding farts--sorry, no
other way to describe it!  Called the ped office again
and nurse recommended glycerine suppository.  Made a
frantic run to the pharmacy (thank God my ma was
visiting so I didn't have to stuff my poor baby in the
car).  One-half of a pediatric glycerine suppository
did the trick, within about 10 minutes.  The result
was an immense, soft BM that overflowed a doubled
cloth diaper!  Emma nursed like mad the rest of the
day, and was her happy, sunny little self again.

Again, from personal experience, I know that BFing
babies can be "constipated" for lack of a better word.
Has anyone tried some gentle rectal stimulation, or a
suppository for this little guy?  I think an attempt
at a simple solution is called for, before a surgeon
starts gloving up....

Just my thoughts.
Carole Jernigan