Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Jun 2003 06:25:08 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
I just realized I had included this topic on the heading to my last post, but never got to it!

My first recommendation for someone trying to relactate after a few months' break is to get a Lact-Aid kit and start nursing as much as possible, providing supplement as needed at the breast.  At this age, not many babies are willing to spend much time at the breast, unless they are getting something for their efforts.  It may take a little effort to get the baby accustomed to having the tube there, but I would think that a baby who was willing to at least suck a tiny bit at a breast that he was getting no milk from, could be easily coaxed to take it with the Lact-Aid.  Once the baby will take the breast with the Lact-Aid, all feedings can done that way.  Mom can pump in addition to this, if she wants, but nursing the baby is the most important thing.  Just as with adoptive moms (who often start out cold with the Lact-Aid and are able to induce significant milk supplies, just from lots of nursing), the suckling is usually a more efficient way of increasing milk supply than pumping.  The older the baby gets, the more difficult it is likely to be to get him to take the breast, so it is much better not to put it off.  Also, a baby at the breast with the Lact-Aid is getting all the nurturing of breastfeeding, while one whose mom is spending a great deal of time pumping is undoubtedly having his nurturing time compromised.    Mom can then reduce the amount of supplement in the Lact-Aid, and/or number of feedings she uses it for, as her milk supply builds.  

We see very good results from domperidone in relactating moms.  I would suggest going to www.fourfriends.com/abrw , for information on ordering domperidone.  It can be put together by some American pharmacists, but the moms I have known who have done this have said that it was very expensive and didn't work as well as the Motilium they ordered off the internet.

Best wishes to this mom!

Darillyn

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2