From:
Aimee Crane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 2010 09:14:40 -0500
I have been working with a mother whose baby was born with Cri-du-chat syndrome for some months now.  The infant's epiglottis doesn't function (yet) so she receives all of her nutrition (to date, exclusively her mother's expressed breastmilk) through a tube which goes directly into her stomach through her abdomen.  My question is this (from the mother): For how long can her baby receive nothing but her breastmilk?  I know that 6 months of exclusive breastfeeding is recommended for all mothers, and that mothers who have food allergy issues (or their baby does) are sometimes recommended to continue to provide exclusively breastmilk up to one year, but for how much longer can a baby receive ONLY breastmilk?  (I believe the mother is asking this question because her baby will have her next swallow study in a month or so, and she is already being pressured to supplement her breastmilk, and she wants to be prepared with STUDIES to back her up as to the safety of continuing to feed only her milk to her baby if the baby "fails" the swallow study (i.e., has to continue with this stomach tube.)  FYI, this baby has grown BEAUTIFULLY (and continues to - the mother's milk supply is COPIOUS!) and exceeded all the doctors' expectations on virtually every developmental measure for a baby with her condition.  This is the most dedicated young (20) mother and father, and I know in my heart her sweet daughter is doing so well in large part because the mother has been such a strong advocate for her and has consistently provided her milk for her notwithstanding virtually no support for breastfeeding from the physicians who have provided her care since she was diagnosed (with the notable exception of her wonderful pediatrician, Dr. Matt Irwin, who unfortunately doesn't have the lead in her care because of the rarity and severity of the health conditions attached to this syndrome).  So, we're looking for articles in peer-reviewed journals that speak specifically to how long a child (over 12 months)can safely receive only breastmilk, and if at some point (presumptively), more something (calories/protein???) is needed, what specifically would that be and are there guidelines as to what quantities and when?
   Thank you all in advance for your consideration. - Aimee Crane, IBCLC in Northern Virginia (Happy New Year to all those who work with breastfeeding families around the world!)