Date:
Sun, 31 Dec 2000 16:33:13 -0700
In light of all the recent discussions about culture, in the US and otherwise with regards to the poor and uneducated.  I was saddened to hear stories that I already knew were true, stories of 16 year old girls having several children, crack addicted mothers, etc.  I just wanted to shine a ray of sunshine over all of it.  Many of you responded to me privately about my client who is 47, menopausal, and wants to pump for her 8 year old son.  I just got off the phone with her, what a humbling experience.  I see moms all the time who just "blow off" the mere idea of breastfeeding, and here is this mother who didn't nurse this child but nursed his siblings and she wants to give this child all the brain and gut building benefits of breastmilk.  She is willing to take the time and effort to do this for her child.  She looks forward to the day when she'll have a nice supply and knows that she is doing what is best for him.

So, after all the sad stories of late I just wanted to share how nice it was to counsel someone so willing, someone so excited to undertake this *task*.  It reminds us why we do what we do.

Melisa