From:
"Linda J. Inglis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Oct 1998 10:06:32 EDT
I am curious to know, from those of you who work with the public, was there
any response to this show?  Did your phones ring on Thursday morning in the
clinic?  Has the subject come up in the prenatal classes?  Have the Peer
Counselors gotten calls from their clients?  Has the Helpline been ringing???
These observations may tell us more than we think.  My daughter, who is the
mother of a 5 month old, NEVER stays up late enough to watch this show.  Her
best friend, who is nursing a 8 week old, goes to sleep when the baby does-
usually before 10 and states that she can't stay up that late and function at
work the next day.  My husband, the nurse in the family, won't watch this
particular show because it is just too "out there"-where ever that is.
Probably somewhere that doesn't have a reliable medical advisor on the script
writing team.  He won't miss ER.

One terrific thing happened as a result of this show.  My father, at age 73
and in my experience having never said the word "breastfeeding" before, called
me to alert me.  It was exciting to me to hear him tell me that the news was
going to have a story on about breastfeeding at 5:17 and I better get the VCR
turned on so I can know what they are saying about my business.  He knew they
had this all screwed up-and I thought he wasn't listening when he left the
room because I was talking about breasts...again.

Those of you who work in WIC, prenatal clinics, lactation support positions,
please fill us in on the response from the public.

Linda Inglis, BS, IBCLC
Palm Harbor, FL