Date:
Sat, 17 Jun 2000 11:38:38 +0100
>I thought all of you would be interested in the newest industry partnership
>and the raising of the caution flag for health information obtained from this
>site.
>
>Marsha Walker, RN, IBCLC
>Weston, MA
>
>KidsGrowth.com, LLC and the Ross Products Division of Abbott Laboratories
>Join Forces to Bring News and Information to the Pediatric Health Care
>Community

Now that is very, very interesting.

Here in the UK there is a charity called the Child Growth Foundation.
It has done some good work in the past drawing professional attention
to the need to take poor growth seriously. It has also (I have heard)
made some campaigning errors - I can't say what these are in a public
forum as I don't want anyone to risk accusations of libel and I have
no written evidence of these (if anyone is desperate to know email me
offlist).

Now, we have learnt that they are in league with SMA - Wyeth. SMA has
sponsored info stands at conferences for the CGF; SMA logos are on
CGF tape measures (freebies for HPs), and one of my counsellor
colleagues who is also a midwife has had a long discission with a
leading light in the CGF in which Baby Friendly and bf promotion
generally was bitterly criticised for its view on formula promotion.

I imagine the CGF is in touch with KidsGrowth.

With your permission, Marsha, I will forward to content of your mail
to a paediatrician I know who is concerned about the CGF links with
SMA.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK