From:
Joy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 11:36:17 +0800
><<The ad -- which was on a little piece of 4x6" laminated card,
>hanging from a chain attached to the shelf, said, "Still adding rice cereal
>to your babies
>bottle?  Now you don't have to!  With new En****l AR the rice starch has
>already been added for you.>>

>I just can't believe it! What kind of action can we take? Am I just a lone
>nut to think this is one of the most ridiculous products to come along?
>(Right up there with mass-marketing "formula" for adults and healthy kids
>(to "supplement" their diet, "just in case", dontcha know?). I'm
>speechless...
>
>Cathy Bargar

Cathy, and others,
I think this might be the formula that has been promoted in Australia for
babies with reflux (probably partly because this seems to be 'diagnosis of
the decade' here), ie thickened, so it supposedly stays down better than
regular formula. It has been a worry here as it seemed to be marketed to
even breastfeeding mothers with refluxing babies - implying in the
'information' put out by the company that this was better than breastmilk.
Also I think they based their 'information' on some study that showed that
a quite high proportion of babies suffered from 'reflux' (ie not just the
serious ones that need special treatment that we would label as such - you
know, the normal posseting, happy chuckers, etc as well) and so therefore
implied that *many* babies 'needed' this product. AAAARH!

Joy Anderson B.Sc. Dip.Ed. Grad.Dip.Med.Tech. IBCLC
Nursing Mothers' Association of Australia Breastfeeding Counsellor
Perth, Western Australia.   mailto:[log in to unmask]