Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2005 17:00:49 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
Brenda,

How many weeks gestation are these babies?  It's been my experience with a triplet mom that assisting her with latching her babies onto the breast effectively created the stimulation to make more milk because the babies properly stimulated mom.  I had to follow-up with the mom every 3 days for a period of time to practice proper latching with a nipple shield and to properly educate her on what were immature suckling patterns versus mature suckling.  I'd use Reglan if I were you, especially since the babies are separated from mom and not at home yet, but I'd also recommend getting those babies to breast.  My mom never had to take the Reglan once we started getting the babies onto the breast, even utilizing the one baby who exhibited a mature suckling pattern prior to her sister and brother.  I recommend to moms who often feel it isn't fair to offer one baby the breast and not the other(s) that life won't ever be fair for her babies, so give that idea up and begin with the one who
 exhibits the most mature ability to breastfeed.  This mom recently went back to work and the babies are 9 months old and she's still breastfeeding them.  She had questions for me regarding pumping while at work.  And, she plans to wean them at 12 months and says she'll call me for advice on weaning.  She's been using a Symphony pump all along, and did start out with only drops when I first started working with her at approx. 2 weeks.  Her babies were born at 35 weeks gestation, and never went to the NICU, but were discharged home with her.

Carol Chamblin, RN, MS, IBCLC

Breast 'N Baby Lactation Services, Inc.

St. Charles, IL 

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2