From:
Jo-Anne Elder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jul 2003 22:43:40 -0300
> Most people can come up with 3 quickly and they will be
> right on target.  Then some have to think on the last 2.  Those with confidence often come up with
> the last 2 fairly quickly.  Those with low self esteem and possibly low confidence and therefore hard
> to train etc will take longer and you will feel them hesitate etc.  Gives you some insight.

I agree that behavioural (I call them situational) questions are really
helpful. I find that interviewees are actually less nervous, since they
are focussed on how to work through a situation rather than on coming up
with the one right answer many interviews seem to expect. It can be
especially good to say, "I know that this question will take a bit of
thought, so please take your time." Introverts or information-processors
need that extra time to visualize themselves in a situation.

It is always a good idea to help mothers see their situation in a
positive light, an opportunity for personal growth and empowerment. We
can frame questions to encourage this learning, and we can frame
interview questions to have the same effect: "Tell me what you feel your
greatest strength is when you are in a difficult situation." (addresses
ways of dealing with challenges of own role and mothers' situation)
"Tell me about something you found challenging to learn, and how you
learned it." (speaks to the ability to understand differences and adapt
to different learning styles) "Which do you feel is your greatest
accomplishment as a ... / in .... situation." (encourages her to look at
personal accomplishments).

The only thing I am a bit concerned about is the assumption that those
who do not have the quick answers to questions have low self esteem, low
confidence and are hard to train. I feel the world needs more
introverts, thoughtful, sensitive people, and these are qualities for
counselling. In fact, women are often criticized for these very
tendencies, and yet it is woman's ways of knowing and being-in-the-world
that many of us are trying to revive along with our attempts to increase
breastfeeding, validate mothering, etc.

One question you might want to ask is, "What personal qualities / what
personality qualities do you feel are important in a lactation
consultant / peer counsellor / pp nurse" etc. Chances are good that
these are the qualities they possess or are striving to achieve, and in
either case they are open to the learning associated with them. I would
choose someone who says: respect, sensitivity, compassion, empathy, etc.
over those who say confidence, intelligence, high self-esteem etc. My
father used to say that he would never truly trust a teacher who wasn't
nervous at an interview, and my friend says the same thing about not
hiring actors who don't have stage-fright. People's self-esteem is
sometimes inverse to the empathy they have for others, and arrogance is,
of course, the greatest impediment to "trainability".

Jo-Anne Elder-Gomes, PhD (women's studies, sort of) IBCLC, lifespan
learning service consultant, daughter / sister / mother / wife of
introverted folks.